Sunday, May 11, 2008

notes..

Just thought I'd copy over the email I sent to my liason, because I think it says stuff that I haven't put in here yet..

Hi J,

My name is Zoey and I am on prac at Suncoast Christian College. I am in my third year of study and I'm majoring in special needs. I'm not sure that I want to be teaching in a special needs unit, but I believe it is a really important area to have knowledge in no matter what classroom you are in.

I am really enjoying my prac so far - I had a great first week. I am in a 5/6 class called the MAX class. It's full of kids who are gifted and talented, who have to pass a strict criteria to be a part of the class. The teacher, Mr R, is a big believer in the constructivist theory of teaching, which works really well with these kids. They are very independent learners and I am really enjoying getting to know them.

I have enjoyed watching a different teaching style than what I have seen previously. I don't think that it would work in every classroom, but because these kids are capable of working so well independently, and are also taught and encouraged to take responsibility for their learning, it's perfect for them.

On Friday I had the opportunity to teach for almost the entire day. It was a great experience, and probably the most confident that I have felt teaching so far. The class is doing a medieval unit, so I have a lot of scope for lessons and Mr R encourages me to run with any ideas that I have. He's a very encouraging mentor teacher and I have learned a lot from him even in just one week. So I'm really looking forward to the next two weeks!

Looking forward to meeting you on Wednesday.


Kind regards,

Zoey

No comments: