Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Day 1

and so we begin...

Day one started by meeting with my teacher for the first time - I walked up to his classroom with the deputy principal and walked into a crazy room (semi-organised chaos) with loud music.. it was awesome! lol.


The first thing Mr R said to me was that i get to choose the music every second day..
Then he lit a sparkler and told me that this is what he does at the beginning of each new year as an illustration to his class of his teaching philosophy: learning is fun and magical.

I told him that I would love being in his classroom because one negative thing I always get told is that my classrooms are too noisy - I'm 110% sure that this won't be an issue in Mr R's class.

His class is called the MAX class and it's full of kids who are gifted and talented. He completely subscribes to the constructivist teaching philosophy and believes in teaching kids to be responsible for their own learning. This means that learning is student-directed, which is good for kids who can handle it, but not good for all learners. It works really well in this class though.

It will be very interesting to see how this prac progresses and how I go with teaching and everything.

Later gaze....

No comments: